Masters - MS for RN's with Non-Nursing BS
Students may be admitted directly to the Master's Program but are required to complete selected undergraduate courses (or their equivalents) as prerequisites. Completion of the required undergraduate prerequisite courses does not guarantee your admission to the Masters program. Students completing undergraduate prerequisites will not earn a BSN at completion of their prerequisite coursework.
Applicants to other MS tracks
Applicants to the CNS, Education, and Administration/Management tracks may complete undergraduate prerequisites courses concurrent with their MS level curriculum after admission to the program. Students may concurrently enroll in up to a total of nine credit hours of graduate level courses while completing their undergraduate prerequisite courses.
Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses
- Health Assessment. Students who have not completed a health assessment or physical assessment academic credit course or who cannot demonstrate equivalent knowledge must also enroll in a specified assessment course. This course, NURS 3043, is only offered during the Fall semester.
This course is required for only Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist track applicants.
- Community. A challenge exam is offered for this course. Registered Nurses may document previous work experience by completing a standardized exam as prepared by the National League for Nursing. The exam is administered and recorded by the OU College of Nursing. Students may also consider enrolling in this course as a special student through the RN-BSN program. This course, NURS 4143, is only offered in the Fall semester. Study Guide.
- Research. Applicants are required to complete a 2-3 semester credit hour research course prior to admission. This course can be completed in any discipline, including nursing. Applicants may enroll in the University of Oklahoma College of Nursing’s course NURS 4062 as a special student to meet this requirement prior to applying to the program. This course is only offered during the Spring semester.
- Leadership. A challenge exam is offered for this course. Registered Nurses may document previous work experience by completing a comprehensive final as prepared by University of Oklahoma College of Nursing faculty. The exam is administered and graded by the OU College of Nursing. Students may also consider enrolling in this course as a special student through the RN-BSN program. This course, NURS 4134, is only offered in the Spring semester.
- Clinical IV. All applicants to any MS pathway must complete the University of Oklahoma College of Nursing’s NURS 4126, Clinical Nursing IV course. This course is only offered during the Spring semester. Clinical hours may be arranged by faculty according to the applicants work schedule and place of employment (if appropriate).
Notice: Students may not enroll in master level nursing courses unless accepted in and committed to completing a specific pathway.
Updated: MR 02/13/2013