Healthy Women, Healthy Futures
The goal of Healthy Women, Healthy Futures is to improve the physical, emotional, social, dental, and vision health of non-pregnant women in poverty to reduce premature births and infant mortality.
What We Do
Voices from Healthy Women Healthy Futures on Vimeo.
HWHF & Partners provide:
- Fun health promotion education taught by RNs on-site at selected early childhood centers.
- No or low cost on-going basic health care at the centers’ school based clinics
- An individualized health plan, developed with the women, to prevent or manage chronic illnesses such as high blood pressure, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, depression and asthma
- Support and assistance in women’s interconceptional health by a Health Navigator (case manager).
- No cost vision exams and glasses, if needed
- Medicines at no cost
- Dental care
- Counseling for mental health issues
- RNs and Health Navigators act as wellness coaches to support women with their health plans
Our program offers the following classes:
- Benefits of exercise
- Cardiovascular wellness
- Diabetes prevention
- Healthy shopping and cooking
- Pregnancy plan development
- Stress reduction
- and many more…
Who Can Become a Participant?
- Women with a child enrolled in a selected Early Childhood Education Center, and ….
- Who are able to become pregnant, but are not currently pregnant.
What if the participant becomes pregnant?
The woman may remain in the program. She will be referred to OU OB/GYN Midwifery or OU Family Medicine if she doesn’t have her own physician.
How long may the participant be able to stay in the program?
Our intent is to educate and provide services to participants for 2 years, even when the child no longer attends an Early Childhood Education Program.
HEALTHY WOMEN, HEALTHY FUTURES
University of Oklahoma College of Nursing
4502 E. 41st. St., Tulsa, OK 74135
Healthy Women, Healthy Futures, a program of the OU College of Nursing, is generously supported by the George Kaiser Family Foundation and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma.