Target Audience/Program Goals/Outline of Program
This course is a two part continuing education certificate course and is structured for 83 ANCC and 64 CCMC contact hours of online, self-paced study. It is especially suited for licensed nurses and social workers who have little experience in case management and may not yet have obtained certification in case management. Part I focuses on essential roles of case managers while Part II focuses on expanded roles and utilizes case studies as a learning tool. Part I consists of 10 modules with learning activities and a quiz at the end of each module. Part II consists of 5 modules with learning activities and a quiz at the end of each module. There is a comprehensive exam at the end of Part I and Part II.
Click here for Course Outline.
At the conclusion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the essential functions, various roles and practice settings of case management. (0 CCMC hours)
- Review legislation which has impacted case management. (6 CCMC hours)
- Identify the standards of practice for case management. (0 CCMC hours)
- Describe the processes of case management assessment, consultation and referral. (0 CCMC hours)
- Describe resource and utilization management issues in the current healthcare delivery system. (6 CCMC hours)
- Discuss key concepts regarding the case managers' relationship with the client/consumer. (6 CCMC hours)
- Identify issues pertinent to care recording and documentation. (6 CCMC hours)
- Discuss the process for evaluating client/consumer outcomes. (5 CCMC hours)
- Describe pertinent legal and ethical issues. (5 CCMC hours)
- Review professional case management resources and certification requirements. (0 CCMC hours)
- Develop skills to effectively manage case management administration. (0 CCMC hours)
- Discuss strategies to manage difficult case management challenges. (10 CCMC hours)
- Describe future industry trends in case management. (10 CCMC hours)
- Analyze complex case studies of special populations. (10 CCMC hours)
Upon completion of the course, participants will be awarded a continuing education certificate for 83 contact hours through the American Nurses Credentialing Center, and/or 64 hours approved through the Commission of Case Manager Certification.
The University of Oklahoma Fran and Earl Ziegler College of Nursing is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Western Multi-State Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurse Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.(Certificate #UOC-0616 - Approval expires 10/01/2019)
The fee for the entire course is $750.00 per participant beginning 9/10/2018.
Course is open enrollment. To register online click here
or you can contact the University of Oklahoma Continuing Education Department at 405-271-2062.
You will have 6 months to complete this course. Once you have been given a password into the course, you are no longer eligible for a refund or cancellation fees.
The following books are required and are not included in the tuition. The student is responsible for locating and paying for the following:
- Cesta, TG & Tahan, HA (2003). The Case Manager's Survival Guide, 2nd edition. Mosby: St. Louis. Moreo, K & Lllewellyn, A.
- Leonard, M. & Miller, E. (2012). Nursing Case Management Review and Resource Manual, 4th edition. ANCC: Silver Springs, MD. NOTE: on this book, you will pay for the book list price and not CNE hours.
- Mullahy, CM (2014). The Case Manager's Handbook, 5th edition. Jones & Bartlett: Boston.
- Case Management Society of America (2010). Standards of Practice for Case Management. CMSA: Little Rock, Arkansas.